Saturday, November 4, 2017

A Most Untimely Valentine's Day Post

Is it really worth looking like this for just one day . . . 
                                                             I do not own this photo.


in order to wind up with THIS a few years later?
In fairness to the bride pictured above, to the best of my knowledge she hasn't spawned as much as a single crib lizard yet in the four-or-so years since she's been hitched, and even had she done so, her situation wouldn't be accurately portrayed in the chaos pictured immediately above. Her presence here is rhetorical and because she's beautiful.

A friend of mine recently called my attention to a country song, "Merry Go Round," recorded by artist  Kacey Musgroves.  The video was nicely done, and the point of the whole thing seemed to be that too many [particularly young] people are rushing off into marriage and reproduction, only to find themselves miserable.  One only has to take a brief walk through one of the housing developments in which married BYU students live to see the wisdom in what the song is trying to convey.

Yet I'm uncertain that marriage or even marriage with children inherently must be a state of gloom, despair, and agony (to borrow a term from Hee Haw).  I think my parents are happy in their marriage. One never knows these things for sure, but I've been aware of very few serious arguments between them. They've suffered through their share of adversity, with losing twins at twenty-three weeks, with my mom having gone through Graves' Disease and the ophthalmological complications, with my dad nearly losing my mom to leukemia, with having to experience being related to my father's family, and, quite frankly, with having to raise me. I wasn't, as one might have imagined, the female reincarnation of the Christ Child in my younger years. Serious trials in marriage, I've been told, either draw a couple closer or tear them apart. Adversity appears to have bound my parents more solidly than they otherwise might have been.  Then again, what the fuck do I know? Perhaps they're  preparing to submit divorce papers as I type.

Largely, my family on both sides comes down heavily on the side of "until death do you part." That doesn't mean they're any happier than any other couples, married or divorced.  It's just that a combination of religious practices, of not wanting to be the one who breaks the mold, and the old idea that what is available on the market probably isn't all that much better than the spouse with whom one is already stuck keeps most of them together. In at least some cases, though. I assume they're well-matched, have  perfected the art of compromise, and are genuinely happy most of the time. No one is happy all the time.

I have one first cousin on each side of the family who has permanently split from his or her spouse. In one case, it was actually annulled. In the divorce that happened on my mom's side of the family,  if the groom's parents have any idea what came between the couple, they've not shared the information with the rest of us. The situation is such that the former couple is no longer comfortable being in the presence of one another. The groom's family, while presumably recognizing that blood is thicker than water, try to be there for their former daughter-in-law just as they are for their son. Her parents are no longer on the planet.  If it's the former daughter-in-law's turn to have Christmas with the children, the grandparents celebrate with them as well. The son goes to the house of one of his siblings for the holidays. The reverse happens if it's the son's turn for Christmas with the kids. (The ex-wife has no siblings.)  It's far from ideal, but is probably making the best of a bad situation.

My aunt's and uncle's son's annulment after three weeks, on the other hand, was Utah's version of the war between the Hatfields and the McCoys. The wedding never should have taken place, or at least not when it did. The groom's sole employment at the time (and to the present, to the best of myknowledge) was as a newspaper deliverer, and he demonstrated no particular ambition to upgrade his employment status.  With his parents' assistance and without the knowledge of his former bride's parents, he snuck her out of her parents home on the morning of her eighteenth birthday (the bride shares complicity in this situation as well; no evidence of a gun having been pointed at her head was ever introduced) and spirited her off to the Manti Temple for the wedding. The former bride's parents, temple-recommend-holding Mormons, were not even told of or invited to their daughter's wedding.  Initial arguments over how to properly hang toilet paper morphed into fights of greater significance, the most compelling, which resulted in domestic violence on the part of the former groom, having been over whether the couple could afford expanded cable service on her salary at an entry-level job as a bank teller and his earnings as a paper carrier. The couple had been living in a small apartment above the bride's parents' garage. The groom was evicted, an order of protection was served, and annulment proceedings were set into order. The marriage for time and all eternity was, in short order, for neither..

These are extreme examples in my own family. Every family, as does mine, has both their extreme examples of marriages that should never have been, marriages that somehow survived despite no particular happiness on anyone's part, and marriages that might have been ordained in heaven. In all probability, most of us will fall somewhere in the middle when our time comes. It's probably important to remember that those who authored the Bible were not God or Jesus themselves.  Perhaps I'm in for a big surprise when my mortality ends and I approach the pearly gates, only to be allowed through or to be turned away, but I seriously doubt that anyone's divorce itself will play much of a factor in what happens in anyone's afterlife. (How one treated a spouse either during the marriage or during the divorce might be another matter entirely, though. Be kind and do unto others as you would have them do unto you.) Life is really not long enough to waste a huge portion of it on it in a marriage that seems like what hell might be like. This is not to say that one shouldn't try to work out problems in a marriage, but when a relationship is kaput, it's probably time to pull the plug.

Then again, who in hell am I to tell anyone how to live their lives or to conduct their marriages? I'm not yet twenty-three years old (I'll be there in less than one month, though!), I've never been married, I've been in three actual relationships, and it would probably be more than a stretch to say that any of them could be considered serious. I'm like the marriage counselor at BYU who has never been married, or the sex therapist who is a virgin in every sense of the word (except that I'm not necessarily claiming to be a virgin).  If your relationship is suffering from serious issues, seek the advice of a professional. Don't pay any attention to me.

As to the person who directed me to the "Merry Go Round" song, I sometimes wonder about him. He's been married for decades and has adult offspring.  He's told me it's unwise to remain in a marriage in which either party is unhappy to the point that the happiness cannot be repaired.  I don't talk with him about his own marriage because it's none of my damned business.  I assume he and his wife are still in love even if not in the way they were when their relationship began.  He's spoken without being specific of all the things a person will eventually tolerate in a spouse throughout the course if a marriage. He's spoken, again without being specific, of heated exchanges in which both parties say things that would have been better left unsaid,  He said you apologize and get over it. Still, with the advice he has given me personally,  my assumption is that he never would have remained in a loveless marriage.

Perhaps that's the way life is with any marriage,  You argue and say things in the heat of the moment that, even if you really do mean them as you say them, you know you should have kept the thoughts  to yourself. If your relationship is strong enough, it survives. If not, divorce is an option.  (Note to Scott Peterson: murder is not an option.)  I've heard of couples who have been married for up to seventy years who insist they have never had as much as an argument. I call bullshit on that. If they haven't had an argument, and it's a very big IF, it's only because one spouse or the other automatically accedes to the other's wishes.  As little as I know about marriage in general and happy marriages in particular, this seems to be no way to live.  If there cannot be give and take in any relationship, it's not really a relationship, or at least not one worth having.


I don't own this video. I thank the rightful owner for allowing me to borrow it for the time it remains here.

8 comments:

  1. I am happy in my marriage. I have no kids. Perhaps there's a connection.

    Actually, not having kids has been a source of sadness for me because sometimes I feel like my life is meaningless. But then sometimes I hear from people who read my shit or listen to my music and then I don't feel so bad. And I don't have to send anyone to college or put them in braces... or wait for them to come home from a date... So I dunno. Maybe breaking the mold isn't so bad. I have to admit, Bill and I mostly have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Children in a marriage seemed to be such a mixed bag. Christmas morning is never so much fun without little kids as with them. (Then, of course, come the bills for the few minutes of frivolity.) They're allegedly major sources of both bliss and pain. And infancy, which is supposed to be one of the happiest times in parents' lives, is sheer hell for parents who end up with a baby who won't stop crying no matter what they do.

    Then, to be morbid yet practical, what if the kid one spawns turns out to be the equivalent to the Sandy hook shooter. His own father said it would have been better had he never beenn born. i'm inclind=ed to agree, though it's so iincredibly tough to determine where nature ends and nurture takes over where children are concerned. still, that one seemed like an odd duck from the moment he cracked his way out of the egg,

    All things considered, some of the happiest couples I've ever known have been childless. they don't have to argue over parenting differences, they have fewer financial constraints, and they have no children about whom to worry. my mom tells me one of the most- time-consuming parts of parenting is worrying. She said she thought it might have eased up by now, but if anything, according to her, it gets worse.

    Still, the human race couldn't continue if someone didn't have kids. On the other hand, the planet has too damned many people on it. For those reasons, the choice should be personal, and every responsible couple should do what ever they want about it. As for those who birth children and don't properly care for them, their children should be taken away and given to deserving parents who canot reproduce, and they should be sterilized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't deny that not having kids does make life easier. Just having dogs can be burdensome, although they give a lot more than they take.

      Delete
    2. If for some reason kids are not in the cards for me, I'll have dogs. Perhaps I'll have dogs even if I have a kid or two.

      Delete
  3. You have a pretty good handle on marriage for someone so young, but you seem to have seen enough of the variations to back up your knowledge base. I guess that is one of the good things of coming out of a large extended family. I do hope you remember these things if and when you consider marriage yourself. At least I had the sense to wait until I was thirty to even consider it. No children here, but lots of animals of all sorts. I like kids, but like to give them back after a while. Remember this: Nature or nurture. Either way it's your parent's fault. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i will remember that most profound line: Nature or nurture. Either way it's your parents' fault.

      Delete

  4. if your looking to hire a private investigator,contact hotcyberlord at gmail dot com all thanks to this real professional who helped me got proof of my cheating ex,i told him i would let the world know about him if he's real because i was doubting due to my experience with other hackers who could not get my job done till date and took my money but to this great professional,he helped me got proof of my cheating ex.he can retrieve deleted text messages,spy on a phone,hack into any social media account,whats app and fecbook.contact him today.also you can text him on this number..+15402277725.tell him Jane reffered you and i'm sure he's going to help.
    email:hotcyberlord at gmail dot com
    text number:+15402277725
    what's app:+254797118868

    ReplyDelete
  5. My life was falling apart, I was being cheated and abused, I had to know the truth and needed proof. i saw a recommendation about a private investigator worldcyberhackers@gmail.com by a friend. i contacted them and they took care of my needs. they hacked his iphone and gave me all information in his facebook,instagram, Whatsapp, twitter and email account. I got all I wanted as proof . I am glad i had a proven truth he was cheating . Contact them if you need help


    ReplyDelete