Thursday, February 22, 2018

I hope you enjoyed the Thin Mints, Bugger!

They're tasty, but are they really worth bashing in someone's windshield to get for free? C'est la vie. Better my windshield than an innocent Girl Scout.


Someone smashed my front windshield. My rental car was one of four cars in the hotel's coveted parking area that had its windshield bashed.The officer who came when I called said it looked like the tool of choice was probably a baseball bat, though I don't suppose it matters much. The thief opened the glove compartment, but found nothing there except the operator's manual, which he threw or carried and dropped about twenty feet away into the snow. The registration and proof of insurance are stored separately, so he didn't get to those. He took the two boxes of Girl Scouts Thin Mints that I had purchased just to be nice. He then opened my trunk, where I assume he hoped to find tons of valuables. Unfortunately for him, it was totally empty. His net gain from this act of vandalism and theft was two boxes of Thin Mints. 

I called the rental company. I paid for the extra insurance so that I wouldn't have to pay any deductible. Their representative told me the simplest thing would be for me to put the repair on my credit card and to give them the receipt when I returned the car, at which time I would be reimbursed. I would have preferred that they bring me a new rental car and take care of the smashed-up one themselves, but that's apparently not how things work around here. They called a local company, who dispatched someone to fix the windshield. 

The repairman spoke even less English than I speak French, which is a considerable accomplishment, as I can sing a few songs, say the basic greetings, and ask where the bathroom is in French. I don't know what this guy does if he ever needs to use the bathroom in a public place in an English-speaking  nation. We're not THAT close to the border. Not everyone where I am speaks French. The majority of the residents here probably don't speak French.

The guy wanted me to give him my credit card so that I could pay the full price before he even touched my car, and then he wasn't going to fix it until tomorrow, anyway. With our language barrier, we could not reach a meeting of the minds. I tried calling my dad first, as French is his native language. He wasn't answering. I then called my mom, who speaks good non-native French. I told her of the problem, then gave my phone to him so she could explain that if a deposit was needed in order to obtain a part, that would be reasonable, and that she would call another company to determine what would be a reasonable cost for the part alone and deposit before I handed over my credit card, but that I was not paying the total cost until the work was done. The conversation on both ends got louder and louder. She told me when I finally got mt phone back that she had to tell him she would call the police on him if he did not give my phone back to me. I could hear her screaming about the police. It's "la police" in French, so not hard to translate even for an idiot in French, which I am.

I called the rental car company, and was not calm or polite about the crook they had sent to fix my rental car. They called someone else to fix it and told me they would pay the guy so I didn't have to use my own credit card, which is really how it should have been in the first place.

My dad's ability to insult a person  in French is far superior to my mom's. In a few hours --  once the business opens -- he will call and tell them in words they'll understand that they are jackasses with anuses where their foreheads should be.

Update: One of the other three cars that was bashed into had a trunk opener that was difficult to maneuver. He had to take off his gloves in order to get that particular trunk open, and left a clean thumb print in the process The police dusted for fingerprints all over our cars, but got a match with those particular prints. Also, they found the same prints on my car's operator's manual.  The prints matched up to a local thug. I won't get my thin mints back, but he'll at least have to go through the hassle of the court system.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was. I'm not sure at whom I'm more angry -- the thief or the crooked Frenchies running the car company. (I shouldn't disparage French Canadians, as I'm one-half French Canadian myself, but they really pissed me off yesterday/

      Delete
  2. That happened to me once. It was when Bill and I were newly married and living in a shitty apartment complex. The crooks were after my CD player, but I had a Toyota and it wasn't so easy to remove it without removing the whole dash. They totally fucked up my car, but didn't find anything of value. It was a real pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thief or thieves didn't make much if any of an effort to get to the radio/CD player system. Late-model cars usually have the systems rigged so that they're not only difficult to remove, but practically useless without the codes, which are not in the operator's manual. I rented the priciest Subaru sedan (still not exactly a BMW) , which is a bit higher-priced than I would usually go for a rental car on a solo vacation just because I wanted something reliable in cold weather. I didn't want anything large, which may have been a mistake. Maybe if I had a small SUV, the thief could have seen there was nothing in the back and presumably wouldn't have broken in just for two boxes of Girl Scout cookies.

      I'm not too far from Dartmouth. Where you have a large university, you have drug-addicted dropouts who still want to hang around the area and need to support both themselves and their drug habits. This guy wasn't too bright, though. I'm not sure if he would ever have had the brains to have been admitted to Dartmouth in the first place.

      The cars he chose to smash into were rather random. Out of a half-full parking lot, he chose a Mercedes SUV, a Honda Pilot, a Toyota sedan of some sort, and mine. The security was a bit lax. The whole area has camera surveillance, and someone was supposed to be watching. He had to run on the last car because they had caught it by then, but he had more time than he should have had if the security people were doing their jobs properly. That's the insurance company's battle, though, and not mine.

      Delete
  3. My Brothers and Sister all over the world, I am Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada ; i was in need of loan some month ago. i needed a loan to open my restaurant and bar, when one of my long time business partner introduce me to this good and trustful loan lender DR PURVA PIUS that help me out with a loan, and is interest rate is very low , thank God today. I am now a successful business woman, and I became useful. In the life of others, I now hold a restaurant and bar. And about 30 workers, thank GOD for my life I am leaving well today a happy father with three kids, thanks to you DR PURVA PIUS Now I can take care of my lovely family, i can now pay my bill. I am now the bread winner of my family. If you are look for a trustful and reliable loan leader. You can Email him via,mail (urgentloan22@gmail.com) Please tell him Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada introduce you to him. THANKS

    ReplyDelete