Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Vacations, Jobs That Make Work Seem Like a Vacation, and How to Obtain One of Such Jobs




This vacation is running the risk of ruining me as a future doctor and is causing me to look forward to the vacations I will be able to afford later in my career more than I am looking forward to the actual career itself.  C'est la vie. It's a secret to which I would have been privy eventually, anyway.  The opportunity to take high-end vacations is a reason you should remain in school, study hard, and choose your course of study and future career wisely, kids.  If you can find the perfect but often elusive career that allows you to feel as though you are on vacation much of the time when you are at work and also compensates you well enough that you can take dream vacations at least once every two or three years, don't let the opportunity pass without grabbing it.

The problem for many among us is that we make decisions when we are relatively young which impact our options for the future. While the algebra course you're taking in eighth  or ninth grade (while Common Core pushed algebra up to ninth grade in many places, I think they're still offering it for eighth graders in many schools) may not seem to be of tremendous importance, flunking it and having to repeat it next year reduces the number of math courses you'll be able to complete before college. This, in turn, may impact your admission to the university or program of your choice or the quantity and quality of your scholarship or grant offers, which, ultimately, will impact your post-graduate options. 

While tonight's homework may seem almost optional, if you skip one assignment, you probably will not skip just one assignment. It's incredibly easy for blowing off school work and homework to become a habit.  And while a person may think he or she can slide through middle school and high school without meeting basic expectations but will get his or her academic act together later, all too often it doesn't work out that way. Choices young people make will begin to impact the quality of one's vocational  and/or professional future  sooner than one would like to think.

I'm not suggesting that if someone blows a science test in fourth grade, he or she may as well give up on a dream of becoming an engineer.  Such would be ludicrous.  We're all sufficiently resilient to withstand a few failures in both school and in life, and failure can, if managed well, provide tremendous opportunity for growth.  Furthermore, we all know people who were academic screw-ups until sometime early in high school, and who, for various reasons, chose to change courses and to succeed in school.   If a person hasn't found what works for him or her in terms of navigating the system of school by eleventh grade, however, the odds will have begun to work against that person in terms of future academic and likely professional-status career success. 

If a person is fortunate enough to have greater-than-average mechanical skills, those skills can often be parlayed into decent-paying jobs.  In future years, with the growth of technology, an increasing number of jobs previously performed by humans are going to be done for us by machines, but for now, auto mechanics, welders, and plumbers are still in demand.  Likewise, many students who attended my high school's rival school (in terms of competitive sports; they weren't even close to being academic rivals) were the offspring of California State Department of Corrections employees.  Some of their parents earned six-figure salaries with having completed no education past high school. Most of these people loathed their jobs, but they were paid well enough and had enough time off that they enjoyed a decent lifestyle while not at work. They lived in relatively comfortable homes, drove pricy cars (their kids drove trucks with large tires), and took nice vacations. Most of them dreaded going to work every day that they had to work, but they had the resources to thoroughly enjoy their time off.  Such a job is, in my opinion, far superior to flipping burgers for minimum wage, but still comes with a heavy price to pay in return.

The idea of being able to support oneself at a job  one actually enjoys doing is a relatively modern idea. There may have been some element of choice involved, but I don't think many people in my grandparents' generation had the luxury of choosing work based on personal fulfillment.  A person's job back then, for the most part, was based on skills a person had, what sort of farm or business the family might have owned, possible family connections to training for a particular vocation, or if a family had the means to fund the education of offspring.  I'm not sure if its onset followed  WWII or maybe even the Korean War, but the GI Bill afforded many people to obtain college educations who previously would not have had the means to seek higher education. With an increase in education came and continues to come an increase in options.  

More education is usually better than less education unless a person goes into heavy debt  to obtain a degree that doesn't typically lead to a decent-paying job.   If there's  little to no debt incurred, any degree is better than no degree. 
If a person is going to wind up with in excess of forty-thousand dollars of debt,  it might behoove the person to study something a little more practical than, say, art history.   Unless the holder of the art history degree is unusually lucky, he or she has little chance of finding a job related to an art history degree that pays much more than minimum wage.  My cousin's other grandfather earned a degree in art history, but he waited until he retired after practicing for more than thirty years as an orthopedic surgeon to get the particular degree.  By then it didn't matter that he couldn't find a job related to his degree. He was too old to work, anyway.  One of my uncles who is a banker has a degree in musicology. He got very lucky and found an employer who wanted to hire a college graduate, but the employer didn't particularly care in what field the degree was earned as long as it was a bachelor's degree from at least a moderately reputable institution.  

I had originally planned to remain in this vacation destination for only about ten days. My ten days have come and gone, yet I have no intention of leaving this place anytime soon. The people who manage this hotel say I can extend my stay as long as I want throughout the first three weeks of March.  I need to be back home by the day before the Match Day ceremony on March 16. I can afford the daily rate here for another two weeks. My bodyguard  has left, but I only kept him around because he had already been paid. I don't need that sort of around-the-clock protection.  

If you're in school and doing very well, that's great.  If you're not doing quite so well, you might want to consider increasing your effort. School isn't the only thing in life even when you're young, but if you give it too little priority in your life now,  later in your life you may lose out on the opportunity to take really cool vacations like this one I'm presently enjoying.





11 comments:

  1. I recommend being an overeducated housewife. Marry a nice but hedonistic guy whose ex wife treated him like dirt and spend the next fifteen years goading him into taking expensive vacations. :D

    And for those who don't get it, I'm being facetious. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could read your facetiousness through the lines. Seriously, if I end up lucky enough to be married to someone whose income supports me in the style to which I'm rapidly becoming accustomed (we didn't live very high on the hog when I was a kid even though I suppose my parents could have afforded it), I would be quite comfortable with working and taking refresher courses and exams only enough to maintain whatever certification I attain. I, too, could be happy as an overeducated housewife. And if a spouse, kid, or pet needs stitches, I'm qualified to take care of it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not such a bad life, except for when I panic because I wonder what I'll do if things suddenly go south.

      Delete
    2. I guess none of us are guaranteed health and relative wealth (a professor in one of my undergraduate classes said [though he didn't substantiate it] that anyone with a change of shoes is in something like the top 10 percentile ranking in terms of wealth; by that criterion, we're all somewhat wealthy) but your chances of being relatively healthy and financial crisis-free for the next couple of decades are as good as anyone else's.

      Delete
  3. "They" say to do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life. I think most of us would starve if we did that, but it's a nice sounding platitude.
    You are right that early academic decisions will have an effect later in life. Relationship choices and decisions have cost me dearly by putting my needs and desires for careers off to the side. Be careful in that department, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. Even if a person's way of earning a living starts out as something her or she truly loves doing, eventually it becomes a job like any other. Entertainers are a good examples of this.

      The only exception to this I can think of is if someone were to decide to pay me a generous salary just for sleeping because I do it so well. Somehow I just don't see this happening at any point in the near future.

      Delete
  4. My Brothers and Sister all over the world, I am Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada ; i was in need of loan some month ago. i needed a loan to open my restaurant and bar, when one of my long time business partner introduce me to this good and trustful loan lender DR PURVA PIUS that help me out with a loan, and is interest rate is very low , thank God today. I am now a successful business woman, and I became useful. In the life of others, I now hold a restaurant and bar. And about 30 workers, thank GOD for my life I am leaving well today a happy father with three kids, thanks to you DR PURVA PIUS Now I can take care of my lovely family, i can now pay my bill. I am now the bread winner of my family. If you are look for a trustful and reliable loan leader. You can Email him via,mail (urgentloan22@gmail.com) Please tell him Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada introduce you to him. THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article is so good, so well structured and easy to read, in fact you
    should be writing things like this, i love travel and i love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. our website m2t12o3m60 best replica designer replica bags in dubai f9j44n5n04 helpful resources d1a53m1d13 replica ysl bags replica bags blog replica bags review gucci replica handbags c3o10u4m06 replica bags pakistan

    ReplyDelete